Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Yeti o' the Day



We've got you so many yeti, I can't keep count, and I'm a mathematician who is paid to count extremely high numbers every day for quadrillions of dollars (I know the exact number) and I still don't even know the sheer quantity of yetiness we've got here. I know there's more than 3. This I know with a certainty of 9.9.



This is a yeti that is pondering its own existence. It is wondering if there is life beyond the tundra. If the ground were to melt, it thinks, and melt and continue to melt until there was no more ice, would there be nothing left of the ground? Would there be an emptiness like outerspace? Would that mean it would turn black with little shiny points of light in it? Would the sun move across it during the day? Why do I have freckles? What's this "automobile" device I keep hearing about? What ever happened to Life Magazine?



Viewers beware: this is not a representation of a giant robot as the label appears at first glance to indicate. Unless this is a robot inside a yeti suit, which is entirely impossible, there is no reason to think of this image as anything other than an ironic statement made by our jaded youth who appear to enjoy this sort of snarkiness on a regular basis. At night before they go to sleep, they like to speak with irony to each other as a subsitute for human intimacy. I shouldn't be telling you this, but I thought you ought to know. Today's youth wears masks of irreverence. Deep down, however, they are as devout as you and that fellow with the hat over there.




A reader will send in a letter to me later today (I can predict this) and he or she will ask me why I chose to include images of an angry man in a white gorilla pelt and a giant ice wyrm battling in a fantasy land. I will ignore that person completely. Why, you ask? Because, you see, I will have already answered their question right here. The answer to their important question is one that requires me to quote an outdated text book on the topic: "Go home, for there you will find a hearth, and in that hearth, a family - one that patiently waits for you to leave again, to take on the challenge of the world and bring back ores from the deep places. These can be smelted, and there is good money in smelting." Have I answered the question? No? Yes? Ha! Now I guess I'm the one with the questions. How ironic!



These are just a couple of other imagery related to the Himalayan Snowthing. I have to meet a certain quota. Yeah, I really do. Like, seriously. It's like some kind of job for me. I get paid like one zillion dollars to do it. No need to thank me. I'm a "Giant Robot".