Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Dear Diary...



Today I encountered yeti on a high mountain pass. He was cordial enough. We fought and wounds were received on both sides. When yeti retreated into a subterranean cavern, I considered it only a temporary respite from our melee.



Thirty years have passed and yeti and I have only conversed in passing. Yeti is obsessed with the weather, remarking casually upon its unrelenting frozenness. I myself have little to offer. To his observations, I acquiesce, and only occasionally comment on the firmness of snow or the quantity of yak in a particular region. I wonder when we will continue our battle. We are both each other's next meal, that much is obvious. At what point will we put aside our vapid pleasantries and admit our hunger? Also, I am in need of a new white pelt.



This morning I thought I saw yeti raise a claw in a manner that could be interpreted as aggressive. The claw could have been meant for me, as I saw no yak in the area. Could this be a sign that we are to resume our combat? Our teas have at least been adequate diversion from the harsh tundra winds. An interesting twist: We have both recognized in each other a mutual enthusiasm for 16th century Danish pottery. I thought I was the only one. The other day yeti lent me a book on the work of Rudolf Blizen, the great ceramicist of Copenhagan. I had no idea the man was blind. Could that explain his incredible tactility?



We have started playing checkers. I hope this escalates into physical violence of some kind.



This will be my last entry. I intend to beat yeti with a club or stick very shortly. If that doesn't work, I will employ the use of projectile rocks or compressed snow. I think yeti has given up all hope of ever eating again. I see no desire to maul or devour me. It is devastating to see one whom I have called friend these many long years give up part of their soul. I will not let it happen. Let one of us be a meal or some kind of garment for the other. I will not see yeti nor myself soften and melt and become nothing more than a checker-playing pottery-enthused tea-sipping yak. Let us fight before we thaw!