Sunday, November 29, 2009

2009 Gift Guide

Over the last decade, there have been oodles of yeti-related items to procure for people in association with their specific gift-related Celebratory Days (Hannukah, Yule, Kwanzaa, Christmas, Cephalopodmas, etc.).

Don't believe in oodles? See my Yeti in Popular Culture Time-Line to observe the creature's rise in popularity.

Last year, the most magnanimous giver could endow to her recipients the giant Gama Go figurine. Before that, one had the benefit of choosing from the plethora of merchandise created in association with Disney's Expedition Everest ride. And even before that, one could dispense with a number of toys depicting the lovable Bumble from the '60's Rudolph holiday special, which had been making a nostalgic comeback.

In previous years, I listed out the best yeti gifts for all Snow-Beast Bestowers out there. If inclined, one can see in more detail what I've suggested by following these links:

- 2008
- 2007 part 1 and part 2
- 2006
- 2005

The new millennium's first decade is now coming to a close. Quality commodities which depict the semblance of the Abominable Snowman are still out there for you to take ownership of and then promptly relinquish to someone you care about for the purpose of a festive custom. For 2009, I have selected the gifts that I think will excite the lover of yetis in your life on his/her appropriate Celebratory Day(s).

Happy Giving!

~~~~~~



Without question, Bill the Yeti by David Lanham is the yeti item to get this celebratory season. I can't afford the $60 price tag, but if I could, I would make myself the recipient of my gift-giving benevolence. Bill would be immediately joining the ranks of my personal yeti figure collection, which is graced by many of the gift stars of yesteryear.




There has never been a yeti in Victorian gentleman attire. It is unprecedented in the history of the universe. Miss Monster's Uncle Dapper is a must-have. At only $20 pre-order, this guy can easily stuff your stockings this year. Full disclosure: for Uncle Dapper, I have already made myself the recipient of my gift-giving benevolence.



Previously blogged about here, the Mugo is part USB drive, part MP3 Player, and part vinyl toy. There is a yeti version and it's $60 - not bad for three things in one. And it's a killer cool design by yeti-lovin' artist Tougui.




A year ago, I discovered the existence of this picture book starring two yetis, "Do Narwhals Have Blowholes?".

I wasn't able to track down a copy over this last year, but after watching this live reading by the authors, I must surely now most definitely track down a copy, and I'm thinking you might want to as well.



~~~~~~

Finally, I strongly suggest finding the ideal yeti gift on Etsy and DeviantArt. Support the artists there by buying their handmade crafts, plushes, prints, paintings, drawings, etc. Most of the yetis I put up on this blog were created by artists from those sites. SUPPORT THEIR WONDERFUL WORK!

No comments: