Monday, April 26, 2010

Vintage Abominable Snowman Plush



You can purchase thisYou could have purchased this off of ebay. The seller indicates it's an Abominable Snowman plush from 1960:
This auction is for a 15" Plush Yeti - Abominable Snowman. I have had this plush since I was young. I am not sure what company made this plush as it has no tag or markings. Am not sure if it did and my mom cut it off???? Made from a wavy plush faux fur and has shorter fur on chest and pawpads. Can stand on its own. Has orange safety eyes. Just a very neat plush. If you are a Yeti collector this would make an excellent addition to you collection. Not sure if hard cardboard or plastic inserts in his feet. In good condition for it's age. From non smoking collectors home.
I am having difficulty imagining such a toy being made in the Sixties. Seems more like a modified white teddy bear. But stranger things have happened!

Also, what are "safety eyes"?

So mysterious! Anyone know who originally made this toy? Is it really meant to be a yeti?

Help me identify this mystery creature unknown to science!

This is crypto-plushology at its best.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom had a white gorilla that looked exactly like that in the 60's. But it had a plastic/rubber molded face. The one in the picture looks like it has had the rubber face torn off and replaced with a different fabric and orange button eyes.

Henry said...

Anonymous, was it by chance this one? Russ Berrie made a lot of gorilla plushes like that one in the 1960s.

Yeti Shyn said...

It's definately NOT a Gonga. I know Gonga well.

Henry said...

This tiny blurred photo depicts a Gonga in the wild. Looks to me like it could be a match to our Mystery Creature, but I will defer to your expertise, Yeti Shyn. NOT GONGA!

Yeti Shyn said...

Gonga is much smaller, about 6" tall, has hard plastic molded hands and feet, and doesnt have the big flat feet that you can see in the other ebay pictures on the link.

The ebay faux-yeti looks more like an upright rabbit that lost it's ears.

Imposter!

Anonymous said...

Henry-

No it wasn't the Russ Berrie plush. The one my mother had was not as cute as that one. Its molded face was pink and had turned up nostrils. I am still trying to find a picture of it.

Raven said...

did u buy it? it went for a cheap price.

Henry said...

Not me, Raven! Even its current owner is an Unsolved, Mysterious, Unexplained, and Unknown Thing We Do Not Know Anything About.