Friday, April 24, 2009

Not Yeti Friday - Bar-Lgura

In Dungeons & Dragons, there is a demon named Bar-Lgura that is quite simian. But it is still a demon.


Artist: David Griffith

Look at those legs. Those aren't ape legs. Those are demon legs.



How to tell a demon from a yeti: The Legs.



I discovered the Bar-Lgura because Wizards of the Coast ran a retrospective of the art depicting demons in the various D&D Monster Manuals over the years. I loved looking at how their depictions changed.

Perusing all the demons, I realize that the one called the Kostchtchie, is obviously the creature I thought was a yeti in this post. Man, I could have done a whole separate post called "Not Yeti - Kostchtchie".

But I digress.

For you non-D&D demonologists, the Bar-Lgura is an actual demon from Semitic folklore (which is where they got the inspiration obviously). It liked to sit atop houses and pounce on the inhabitants. There's really nothing about it online. Everyone seems to be merely quoting (without credit) the entry in Lewis Spence's 1920 "An Encyclopaedia of Occultism", but where did Spence get it from? For all I know, he just made it up.

I mean, this is the same guy who wrote "Occult Causes of the Present War".

But I digress.

Anyway, if there's one thing I want you to take away from this post, it's this:

Look at the legs.

No comments: